Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Dirty Jerz

95 miles of rain from Philly to Newark. Saw a ghetto and saw the Princeton campus. We ate a large dinner followed by a six pack of Klondike Ice Creams.

Newark is a 35 mile ride to NYC, and I tried not to view it as our final destination. I drag this out because I don't want it to end, but I am very excited and focused on getting back on the road again. I like the feeling of momentum. Its empowering to move freely, daily and without pause. I highly suggest bicycle touring as an official national pasttime.

Marie, Ryan and Justin lease a 3,000 sq ft warehouse in Newark Downtown. Its a visual feast and all who dwell there are kind and ready. We arrived at 11PM and were welcomed warmly. Brad chatted to our hosts about bikes, as they all ride. I took a shower in a giant tub set in the kitchen, separated by two layers of clear shower curtain plastic.

I got to know them a little more in the morning. We met them as arranged by our LA friend MikeBikeMike.

Ryan and Marie have toured extensively. They are building MBM's frame. Marie works as an instructor for boat building with kids, and in her sparetime gets involved in sustainable landscaping and gardening. Justin rides the cusp between school and career and dreams big and carefully.

Brad finds his plane. He left at 2PM, October 1st, for Boise, Idaho where he will attend his sister's wedding and visit with his family and Chloe, his wonderful girlfriend who is flying out from LA. He returns to NYC October 8th, until we return to LA via train on Nov 11th. This trip has officially involved trains, planes, and automobiles and bicycles.

Below is a picture of a guerrilla garden we saw on abandoned train tracks in Philly. I wanted to reference it when describing Marie. Here.