Monday, October 6, 2008

Nicetown

The 120 mile ride from Bodymore to Philly was serious. Very hilly topo but the air was crisp and wet. Eventually soaked and sour. I tried to taste the last sips of the sweetest adventure of my life. I wanted to remember every day and reflect a meaning from them right now.

I wanted to be able to answer the question "So, what was your favorite part of the trip?" in at least twenty different ways. I can. Ask me anytime.

We arrived late. "Late" means that we were behind our eta by six hours. "Arrived" means that we had Jason pick us and fit all all everything all of it into his Protege at 2am instead of riding the last 20 miles. Our bags sat on our trailer. I sat on Brad's lap.

(funny story insert) At the point of pickup, we stopped for Brad to fix a flat. Rain rained everywhere. We found a good 20 covered sq ft under a rusted canopy of an abandoned gas station. In ten minutes three local police squad cars arranged themselves to attack us from all angles. A stereotypical cop with a stereotypical copstache got out of his car and walked towards Brad, ten ft away, making a pumping thrust motion towards the base of the wall. Was he pumping a bomb, sawing a pole, beating a dog? He was pumping his tire. Luckily stereotypical cop was only mildly alarmed and let us roll out to find another canopy under which we'd meet Jason.

The run through Philly was all steak, no cheese. We stayed with my good friend-turned-even-better friend Jason in his many-bedroomed townhome in a many-crimed part of North Philly. If Marcus could move in, Marcus would. I don't know if it was bc I've been on the road for so long, but I attached to J's house and couches like cheez whiz to toast and sliced steak. I should one day propose that. "I want the green couch, the velvety one." My legs give a shout out to you.

We laid low and readied for the things you get ready for at the ends of adventures like these.