Monday, September 8, 2008

Shicoggo, Ilinoy

From Springfield we caught the Amtrak to Chicago, just to catch up time. That city was as magical as it always is. The biggest part of the magic was that The North American Cycle Courier Championships AND The North American Bike Polo Championships were both taking place the weekend we were there.

We saw 1000's of racing messengers from all over the US and Canada. I also happened to even catch 2 friends from Texas! They were racing, and I didn't even know they were messengers.

Also we caught the Chicago Critical Mass, which was a totally strange but familiar feeling, riding bikes with a few hundred others. The crowd was relatively timid compared to any LA scene. In Chicago they call out "Happy Friday" to pedestrians, and Brad and I were goofing around with this theme. We had a number of variations for the riders, none of which were appreciated.

Also we played at an open mic at The Gallery Cabaret which I think scared a few people. Really cool though was that we met Joe from the Rat Patrol and he told about Saturday's party they were having. It was a miniature version of Bike Kill, good times. I got drunk and talked at strangers.

LA scene has way more energy than Chicago's, but I am glad I caught these events. It was a big bike weekend in Chicago.